On July 1, 2013, the National Radio Research Agency (NRRA) issued Notification No. 2013-5, which notes changes to the Radio Wave Act regulation for Compatibility Evaluation on Telecommunication and Radio Communication equipment relating to EMC/Telecom/Wireless approval. The main changes include the following:
- Regulatory Authority changed from Korea Communications Commission (KCC) to Ministry of Science, ICT & Future Planning (MSIP)
- Revised Certification Numbering scheme from KCC-XXX-AAA-BBBBBBBBBBBBBB” to “MSIP-XXX-AAA-BBBBBBBBBBBBBB”. Applications submitted as of July 01, 2013 should use the new labeling format. There is a three-month transition where newly approved products can use the previous KCC certification numbering scheme through September 30, 2013. However, on Oct 1, 2013, the new certification numbering format must be used. The new certification numbering format does not apply to products approved prior to July 1, 2013, and therefore, manufacturers do not need to change their products labels.
- Testing not required for alternates or changes to certain components below.
- Resistor, Inductor, Capacitor
- Diode (including Light Emitting Diode (LED))
- Change of Wattage (as long as the changed wattage is lower and the electrical circuit (schematic and layout) remains the same)
For additional information go to the GMA page for Korea.
Effective Date for Products Added to Scope of Electrical Appliances Safety Control Act
In order to reflect the changes according to the Electrical Appliances Safety Control Act and the Radio Waves Act, a number of broadcasting, communication and information technology equipment controlled under the Radio Waves Act were added to the product classification list covered under the Electrical Appliances Safety Control Act for safety certification. For products also subjected to the safety regulation, compliance with the safety requirements is being phased in.
Effective July 1, 2013, the following products are required to obtain the KC Self-Regulatory Safety Confirmation or Declaration of Conformity (Safety Certification) certification, in addition to the KC Registration of Compatibility or KC Certification of Conformity (EMC and wireless/telecom) certification. These products must obtain the applicable safety and/or EMC certification and bear the KC Mark before they are imported to Korea.
- Radio equipment for a location based service (bus location service etc.).
- Printer (excluding printers for plotters and graphics): Printers for barcode, receipts, banknotes and labels.
- Power Supply for computers (desktop), workstation, server.
- Notebook PC (including tablet PC).
- Walkie-talkie for living radio station (including movable and fixed equipment and equipment for amateur radio station).
- Radio equipment for transmission of voice, sound and other signals (including wireless microphone system and wireless speaker system).
- Portable wireless equipment (mobile phone, smart phone, TRS mobile phone etc.).
For additional information go to GMA page for South Korea.