The CB Scheme is a vast international arrangement established the by the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) for mutual acceptance of test reports among participating certification organizations in the field of electrical and electronic equipment.
The CB Scheme benefits product manufacturers and distributors engaged in international trade by providing:
- A single point of product testing for efficient global market access
- Global acceptance of test reports leading to national certification in CB Scheme member countries
- Unilateral acceptance of test reports in many developing countries that are not yet participating in the CB Scheme
The CB Scheme is an international network of product certification organizations in more than 50 countries around the world. The IECEE website at http://www.iecee.org/ contains comprehensive information about the CB Scheme.
Each participating country has one or more organizations accepted by the IECEE as National Certification Bodies (NCBs). UL is one of the largest and most active CB Scheme members, and we operate four NCBs in different countries and over 50 CB Testing Laboratories (CBTLs) to provide local service with global coverage for our Customers.
UL NCBs in Denmark, USA, Japan and Canada, with CBTLs in all major regions, can assess your products to a broad range of IEC standards, with any relevant National or Group Differences. The product categories and standards covered by UL in the CB Scheme are listed on the IECEE Website via the following links:
UL (Demko), UL (US), UL (JP) and UL (CA).
CB Scheme Process
- UL will test your product to all harmonized standards and to any National Differences required for the countries in which you want to market your product.
- UL will then issue a CB Test Certificate and a CB Test Report that you can use to obtain national certifications in participating countries.
- You must still apply to the NCBs in your target countries for national certifications, or UL can do it for you. Please note that NCBs have the right to request product samples or ask manufacturers to develop additional data. The CB Test Certificate and associated CB Test Report you receive from UL will minimize the need for additional testing.
- National Differences are special requirements that the IECEE CB Scheme permits each country to adopt in order to address local safety concerns. UL keeps up to date with the National Differences of CB Scheme member countries so your products are evaluated to the most current requirements of the countries you target.
- Additional information can be found on the CB Scheme Web site at http://www.iecee.org/